Who said Holiday Sugar cookies have to be filled with gut filling inflammatory ingredients?! Gluten and dairy are known to create inflammation in the body. Inflammation can be defined as bloating, headache, rings too tight, jeans too tight, arthritis flare up etc. So, choosing to use ingredients that are less inflammatory is simple. Gluten Free and dairy free cooking doesn’t have to be challenging, crowd in the good stuff without sacrificing the taste.
Try these super tasty Holiday Sugar Cookies infused with a touch of Certified Essential Oils (all plant-based no die or chemicals) for extra zest.
My family and I had fun exploring different icing flavors…lemon was a hit. Keep in mind, these tasty morsels should still be consumed in moderation. But if you’re like me and embrace the holiday spirit – baking is a great way to spend time with the kiddos. Especially, on a stormy day!
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Total Time 1 hr | Yields 25-30 cookies
Sugar Cookie Recipe – Dairy Free, Sugar Free
Dry ingredient Mix – 8 ingredients
3 cups gluten free all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder (look for aluminum free)
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (I use Real Salt)
Wet Ingredient Mix
1 cup room temperature Earth Balance brand (vegan butter)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 room temperature egg
1 tablespoon almond milk, soy milk or other nut milk
1) Gently combine dry ingredients in a bowl, being careful to not compact the flour. Keep it at the level of the measuring cup.
2) Cream together the wet ingredients in a separate large bowl with a mixer using the flat white paddle blade or a hand blender.
3) Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in thirds, mixing each third in well before adding more. Explore in adding Lavender Oil or Wild Orange Oil to your batter. A few drops is all you need! A large dough ball will form once all of the ingredients are combined. Knead it with your hands if necessary to form it into a ball.
4) Cut the dough ball in half and wrap each half in parchment paper. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
5) When you are ready to bake , preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, leave the dough out for 10 minutes to soften so it is easier to roll out. Take out your favorite cookie cutter shapes and start rock’n the kitchen.
To roll out the dough – use a wooden roller and place parchment Paper on the bottom and the top. Take off the top paper and start cutting out your shapes. Slide the parchment paper and cookie dough right onto your baking sheet and bake. I also like to use a Silpat Silicone Cookie Sheet instead of the Parchment Paper on the bottom of the dough. This is really up to you. It is easier to clean up using a silicone cookie sheet or parchment paper.
6) Bake for 9-11 minutes until the edges are slightly golden. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and immediately lift the parchment paper & cookies onto the counter as leaving it on the baking sheet will continue to cook them. You don’t want the bottom to get brown.
7) Let cool completely before frosting.
Frosting: Super easy! 4 ingredients
1) 1 cup room temperature Earth Balance brand vegan butter
2) 3 cups powdered sugar, use organic if possible
3) 2 teaspoons almond milk, soy milk or other nut milk. If it seems too thick add a bit more water or milk to icing.
4) 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Method: Be sure all your ingredients are room temperature. Place all ingredients in a mixer using the white paddle again. Add your favorite oil such as Lemon or Peppermint. You can sprinkle a touch of Die Free Candy Cane to icing for extra bling if you desire.
Let me know how you like them!